What's the Plan, Stan?

Planning, planning, planning, much of our lives revolve around planning, but is it really necessary in teaching? As teachers, do we really need to spend so much time and energy working to create the perfect unit and lesson plans for our courses? This week, in our readings, I came to the conclusion that the answer is yes!
https://www.tes.com/lessons/UBBOhl6o_3GcGQ/ela-march-23-2015
While our ways of planning and amount of planning may change as we advance through our careers, the planning itself is always a crucial part of the teaching process. Proper planning allows us to ensure that we are teaching the right content, at the right time, in the right ways. We may have the knowledge and materials needed to teach effectively but without planning, we will always fall short.

One tidbit that I took away from the readings was the importance of unit objectives and what to include in them. Methods of teaching agriculture advised that objectives should be observable, measurable, action-oriented, and should fall into one of the three domains of learning. The three domains being cognitive (facts, knowledge, information), psychomotor (mind + motor skills), and affective (attitudes, values, appreciation).

The readings this week were a great reminder to me as to why we spend as much time planning as we do, especially as we prepare for student teaching. I'm excited to get started with my unit and lesson planning and apply the principles in these readings. I'm challenging myself to come back to these readings and make sure that my unit objectives follow the guidelines laid out in Methods of teaching agriculture.


References

Newcomb, L.H., McCracken, J.D., Warmbrod, J.R., & Whittington, M.S. (1993). Methods of teaching agriculture. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall. 

Comments

  1. Victoria, thank you for touching on the importance of planning and what goes into creating objectives to support those plans! How have you seen objectives used effectively in your own experiences as a learner and how do you plan to use them with your own students? Pro tip: including visuals in your posts helps to enhance your talking points and create a more visually appealing reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you set a goal and challenged yourself in your blog post, I think that kind of thinking is what makes our blogging a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Victoria, I enjoyed your take aways from the Methods of Teaching agriculture. Unit and lesson objectives can be difficult for me to grasp but this reading made it much easier for me to get a hold on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short and sweet! Great job! I really enjoyed your takeaways and how you mentioned the three domains of learning. I haven't gotten to read all of our peer blogs at this point but from the ones I have read, you are the only one that mentioned those domains. Before I wrote my blog post, I had read and thought about the domains but seeing someone else write about them made me think even more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria,
    Objectives are really important I’m glad you pointed that out! You can’t teach unless you know where you’re going with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment