Another National FFA Convention & Expo in the Books

The month of October is notoriously overwhelming in the ag ed world and for me, it has always been a very nostalgic month as well. The National FFA Convention & Expo is an event that never seems to lose its charm no matter how many times or in what capacity I attend. Over the past seven years of Convention attendance, I have competed in Career Development Events, served as a delegate, volunteered for National FFA, and more! This year I was thrilled to be attending on behalf of the National Teach Ag Campaign in my role as a National Teach Ag Ambassador and I have to say that I think this year was my favorite year of Convention attendance.
Seven years of Convention attendance, thousands of memories

Throughout the week the ambassadors were given many opportunities for professional development, networking, bonding with one another, and recruiting the next generation of ag educators! It was such a special week to catch up with friends from across the country, connect with eleven wonderful future educators, and be reminded of why the agricultural education family is so special.

Our first few days in Indianapolis were spent getting to know one another better, planning and preparing for the week ahead, and squeezing in some professional development! We began with a discussion of who/ what had inspired us to pursue a career in agricultural education, what our greatest experiences as preservice teachers have been, and what our goals as future educators are. Out of everything the whole week, these discussions were what meant the most to me because they reminded me of what an incredible family we are a part of. Engaging in these conversations with students from all across the country with varying backgrounds and experiences was so insightful and truly showed me that the one thing we all have in common is passion. I am so honored to be a part of this outstanding group and for the opportunities we shared and will continue to have.
So thankful for these people!

For professional development (always a favorite for me) the ambassadors got the chance to team up to create and facilitate lessons for a local ag ed program. The theme of our lessons was ‘Teach Ag, The Adventure of a Lifetime’ and my focus was on how ag educators use the Three- Circle Model in their daily lives. It was a great experience to spend the afternoon with some of the students at Beech Grove High School and it felt good to be in the classroom again. After the school day ended, we got the chance to walk through a CASE (Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education) lesson with the ag teachers at Beech Grove and talk to them about their experience with CASE. 
Talking through some examples of the responsibilities of an ag teacher and how they fall into the Three- Circle Model

Then it was time for Convention! The more blue jackets I saw, the more excited I got, and I was not disappointed! As ambassadors, we got lots of face time with FFA members at the National Teach Ag booth. Wednesday through Friday we welcomed students to sign up to receive information from the National Teach Ag Campaign, answered their questions about ag education, sent them on scavenger hunts to earn prizes, and more. In those short three days, we interacted with so many members and advisors and had hundreds sign up for more info about ag education! We also got the chance to be a part of the workshops that the Teach Ag Campaign was hosting and again, had a blast. It was awesome to see so many students interested in careers in ag education and share some insight with them. And speaking of awesome, the signing events! Throughout the week, senior FFA members who were committed to studying ag education were invited to sign a letter of intent and be recognized for their commitments and that was so inspiring to me! How cool to have so many up and coming preservice teachers excited to begin their journeys toward careers in ag education!
Students draw their ag teachers in the Teach Ag workshop
All of the incredible experiences of our week would not have been possible without the wonderful sponsors of the National Teach Ag Campaign. I am so appreciative of the CHS Foundation, DuPont Pioneer, Growth Energy, and BASF for investing in the future of ag education and for taking time out of their busy schedules to meet with us.

Thank you to our wonderful sponsors!

Oh, and I got the chance to compete in National Alpha Tau Alpha’s debate contest! Although the Penn State team did not come out on top, I was thankful for the learning opportunity! (The topic was the value of global experiences for preservice agriculture teachers so obviously, I was excited about that!)

Aside from the free swag, wonderful food, tradition, professional development, personal growth, and memories, I’m so thankful for the bonds formed between myself and the other ambassadors. A bond that I know will last for years to come as we continue on this wonderful journey that ag education has to offer.



As I reflect on my time at the 90th National FFA Convention & Expo I am so thankful for the growth, memories, opportunities, and safe travels that God laid before me. Until next year, Indy!


Comments