See Me After Class, Part 1 Review

The book, See Me After Class, is a text self-described as “advice for teachers by teachers", and this summer, along with my fearless virtual mentor team, I will be reading it and sharing our thoughts. I chose this text because I knew that it would offer me real, first-hand advice from experienced teachers on how to be best prepared for entering the classroom. For our first month, we read the first five chapters and today I’ll be summarizing our thoughts. 

Chapter 1: What This Book Is… and Is Not

The title of this chapter really speaks for itself as the first chapter goes over who this book is meant for and why. The first paragraph describes the perfect, naturally gifted teacher who the rest of the teachers always feel one step behind, this book is not for that teacher.

I asked my team if they would categorize themselves as that teacher or if they even know any teachers like that. The responses were encouraging.

DB: Absolutely not. Though it may seem there are teachers in the field that are like this, nobody is perfect. Later in the text, the author speaks about capitalizing on personal strengths and managing personal weaknesses as an educator. This is what makes a good teacher or a good employee for that matter.

AB: Lol. No. The first paragraph made me annoyed. You may think you know teachers like this when you first start teaching, but everyone has their “best practices” and also their weaknesses. It’s what makes you human. You can and should at some point admit to your students when there are topics that are your weakness [just did this in my Herpetology unit in small animal class… I know nothing about reptiles nor do I really want to most days…] so I asked the one girl who loves all things reptiles to re-do the unit for her SAE project, then she taught the class…. It was glorious. 

GH: I don't think that I have I have seen too many natural-born teachers.  Most of them have worked hard at what they are doing. I for one went through many failures the first year of teaching and then learned from those mistakes.

What is your first impression of See Me After Class? Do you feel that it will hold valuable lessons for me as a preservice teacher? You as a veteran teacher?

DB: This book is a flashback to not only my first year teaching in 2007 but this entire past year as I began teaching at a new school that did not have an agriculture program. I’ve already dog-eared numerous pages within the first five chapters! So far, it’s filled with tips that you definitely would not learn until you’ve got your first year under your belt.

Chapter 2: The Ten Things You Will Wish Someone Had Told You

I’ll share the list, it’s too good not to.

1. A Lot of the “Advice” You Get Will Make You Feel Worse, Not Better
2. Your Classroom Is Your First Responsibility 
3. You Can’t Change Everything Your First Year, and You Shouldn’t Try To
4. Ask for and Accept Help
5. Your Students are Kids, No Matter How Big They Are
6. You Are Not Your Students’ Friends- They Don't Even Have to Like You at First
7. Make a Schedule for Paperwork
8. Teaching is Physically Exhausting
9. Lock Your Door When You Leave the Room
10. Things Will Get Better

Did you disagree with any of the ten things? Explain. 

The whole team agreed that these ten things all hold true in teaching and Mrs. Bates added that embracing technology when it comes to grading is a lifesaver. Each of my mentors made a special point to emphasize #9 on locking the classroom door as many of them have experienced issues when they did not do so.

Can you think of anything to add that you wish you had known as a first-year teacher?

DB: Related to #4 - Ask for and Accept Help - Befriend your custodians, maintenance personnel, and office administrative assistants! They truly run the buildings when no one else, except you, is there. After hours, they can and will get you what you need and if they can’t, they will know who to contact to help.  

As an ag teacher, #2 seems tough, any thoughts?

AB: Yes, it is. However, it does allude to all the extra things that you really need to pace yourself with. Saying NO to things that are really not necessary your first year is important. Advising extra clubs outside FFA, coaching sports, helping with every ASB / student council event, barbecuing for events outside your own… etc… these are GREAT things that support and unite Ag programs, but they will exhaust you and can wait until you get more established. When you feel ready, choose ONE to add to your plate if you can. Trust me. Been there.

Chapter 3: First Daze

Chapter 3 went over how to prepare for your first day of school. This chapter included a shopping list of supplies for the year, a lesson plan checklist for the first day, a two-week preparation plan for the first day, some first-day horror stories, and more on that ever important first-day impression.

Anything to add or subtract from the shopping list?

The group agreed to check with what your school will provide, as the bills can add up quickly for supplies. Mr. Bittner added that group bins, colored pencils, and milk crates for paperwork are some of his classroom staples. 

What did you think of the lesson plan checklist?

The lesson plan checklist included tasks such as greeting students at the door, having them complete paperwork for the year, and going over classroom expectations. Mr. Bittner agreed and added that especially during the first week it is important to prepare for technology issues, Mrs. Bates noted that each class will be different, and Mr. Hughes mentioned that not a day goes by when he is able to fully stick with his original plan. Flexibility is an important theme here!

What are your best/ worst first day memories?

DB: There are no bells at my school and I dismissed my first class 20 minutes early because I had a typo on my lesson plan! No one told me, they just left and I had to chase them down and herd them back into my room once I realized my mistake. 

GH: The best days are the ones that you make it through and you were so busy that it seems like the day was just starting and then it is time to leave.

How do you prepare for the first day of school?

DB: Honestly, my first-day lessons are completely scripted and I practice them numerous times so I am confident in plans for the day/year and so my voice is stronger after a summer of not talking as much as I do when I teach. I cannot reinforce the value of setting expectations for excellence and introducing routines from Day #1. This includes excellence as a teacher and getting into a routine. I start waking up at “school time” about two weeks before school starts and getting into my non-summer routine.

AB: I think about my first day all summer… because I usually plan something really different.  I want them to go home the first day talking about their “Ag class” and what they did that was different. It’s my hook.

GH: The first day is going over the rules and expectations, discuss what your plans are for the class. 

Chapter 4: Maintaining and Regaining Your Sanity, One Month at a Time

Chapter 4 consisted of a “mood swing calendar” detailing the emotional ups and downs of a year in the life of a teacher. 

When I asked if my team could relate, they all said yes. Mr. Bittner brought up the importance of planning around conventions, contests, and conferences and Mr. Hughes added that the winter months are tough because students are contained indoors. 

Chapter 5: Piles and Files: Organization and Time Management

As one who struggles big time with both of these skills, I have to admit to reading this chapter a few times. Chapter 5 was filled with tips and tricks to staying organized and not drowning under mounds of paperwork by the third week of school.

Holy filing system! Is it really that bad?

DB: Yes. There will be papers, folders, and binders everywhere.

How does your collection/ returning system work?

DB: I have an “In Bin” into which all student work gets submitted. I establish this routine on Day #1, if it’s not in the bin, it’s not “in”. Students don’t even ask after that, they turn everything into the In Bin. All student work then goes into a Return Bin and my TA, co-teacher, or I will distribute it during Bellwork Time at the beginning of each class.

Anything to add to the time management tips?

DB: Plan a time to go home every day! I find this helps me to stay focused when I’m working after school and gives me the motivation to tackle a pile of work, even though it feels like my day should be over. I do set aside time every Friday to make parent phone calls from a list and notes that I keep all week. Then, when it’s time to go home, GO HOME and do other things you enjoy that are NOT school-related  : )

GH: My desk is normally organized by piles and the order that I dropped them on the desk. Get everything in the grade book as soon as possible, if not then the piles get 2 feet high.

Overall, I think the whole team has enjoyed reading See Me After Class so far and we have all taken notes on some of the tips. Mr. Bittner added, “This book also reinforced for me that I need to be less hard on myself and realize that my lessons/days will never be perfect, but as long as I am prepared and giving my best effort, I am doing my job and the students do and will appreciate that. This is a huge takeaway for me and should be for you as well!”


I can’t wait to see what the next few chapters will hold!

My Virtual Mentor Team

Cooperating Teacher: Mr. Jerry Hughes, Penns Manor High School (PA)

@GeraldH40954840


Virtual Mentor: Mr. David Bittner, Milton High School (PA)

@dabittner



Virtual Mentor: Mrs. Anna Bates, San Luis Obispo High School (CA)

@BatesAnna30





Virtual Mentor: Mr. Matt Sndyer, Clarion-Limestone High School (PA)

@Snyder6878

Student Teacher: Ms. Victoria Herr, Penns Manor High School (PA)

@Victoria_Herr

Comments

  1. This is my favorite quote:

    I don't think that I have I have seen too many natural-born teachers. Most of them have worked hard at what they are doing.

    As you work through this growth opportunity, keep in mind to push yourself beyond summarization to deep reflective levels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dr. Foster! In my remaining posts I will work on the reflection piece more!

      Delete
  2. Victoria,

    Remember no teacher is perfect. Everyone has weaknesses no matter what level of experience.
    You will find these during your student teaching experience and first year. My biggest weakness right now is organization but I'm getting there!
    You will soon find out that some students know more than expected. If you aren't familiar with a certain topic they will know. They will show you respect when you learn with them. It's okay!
    Everyone has a different style and you will find yours. Things will get hectic and chaotic at times. When that happens take a deep breath and think about your students' growth. Look at how far they've come. That makes it all worth it.

    Ms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely need to remember that no teacher is perfect, it seems so daunting when I look at veteran teachers and compare my own skills to theirs but with time I will learn and improve :)

      Delete
  3. Victoria, I love the format of your blog post and the way you and your team are interacting to share your thoughts on the book! How can you turn what you talk about into reflective thoughts on the profession and the experience you are about to enter into this coming year? What discussion points really hit home for you and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Tiffany! In the coming posts I will do my best to dig deeper in the reflection!

      Delete

Post a Comment