Relaxing & Reflecting


I’m beginning 2018 much in the same way I began 2017, relaxing under a palm tree in the Florida Keys, can’t complain about that. But looking back at each moment of 2017, I have so much to be grateful for. The family, friends, and opportunities that God has blessed me with are more than I could ever ask for and I am reminded lately of how blessed I truly am. As I stare into the blue horizon of the ocean stretched out in front of me, (cheesy but true) I can’t help but wonder what this coming year will bring and reflect on the gift that 2017 truly was.
       
The first moments of 2017 that come to mind were of trips I took in March that will always hold a place in my heart. For spring break, I headed back to the Keys with a friend and spent a wonderful and relaxing week with my ever gracious grandparents. 
While I definitely enjoyed the warm weather, lounging on the beach, and spending time with Katie, the part that will always be special to me is the time spent with family. Two of my grandpa’s sisters (one of whom is my grandmother on the other side, long story) and a few other relatives also spent the week with us and it was something I’ll never forget. How blessed our family is to be so close even to those who others would consider ‘distant’ relatives. I’ll always cherish that week.
       
And no sooner did I return from Florida than my dad and I were boarding a plane to Missouri! For my dad’s birthday, he and I spent a few days in St. Louis, attending the NCAA Wrestling Championship, and had an absolute blast. 
It was exciting to see Penn State capture our sixth National Championship in seven years and we even got to meet all of the wrestlers! Again though, the best part for me was having that time with my dad.
      
Before I knew it, the spring semester was over and I was another year closer to graduation (sad, I know). 
       
And speaking of graduation! Man, did I feel old watching my sweet baby walk across that stage, old and proud! 
A few short days later I was celebrating my 21st birthday! I definitely went the unconventional route in my celebration but enjoying a dinner with my grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and other family members was such a treat. 
Can you tell I’ve really come to value family this year?
       
Hmm, any other special family memories? But of course! The morning after my 21st, Willie, my dad, and I hopped on a plane, and then another, and then another and another and another, until we were in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan, Canada. 
A week of world-class fishing was just about the best gift this girl could have ever asked for but of course, the time spent with my favorite boys was priceless. 
Oh, and outfishing my dad, that was a real treat, not surprising though.
       
While I had an incredible time in Canada, I was more than excited to return to the US and my internship at the Lehigh Valley Zoo. If you hadn’t heard, I spent my summer serving as a Conservation Education Intern with the zoo and had an absolute blast. 
I learned more than I could have ever imagined and had such a wonderful time sharing this knowledge with the zoo guests (and anyone else who would listen). If you have any doubts about how much I loved it, the commute was almost two hours, one way, every day. 
I put over 11,000 miles on my truck for that commute but it was a true blessing to have four hours of mandated quiet time each day to spend talking to God and jamming out to my favorite Christian station. 
      
Despite the fact that I bawled my eyes out when I had to leave the zoo, it took no time at all for my attention to shift back to my favorite place in the world, Happy Valley! 
I was excited to kick off my junior year and get moved into my own apartment! And what can I say but wow? This past semester was the greatest, fastest, most challenging one yet and I’m so thankful for each second of it. 
My apartment quickly became a home for many and there was nothing I loved more than cooking dinner and having everyone over for a movie on Friday nights, God has blessed me with some wonderful friends. 
       
While my academics and extracurriculars surely kept me busy, I still got the chance to take off for a week in October to attend my seventh National FFA Convention & Expo in Indianapolis. In April, I was selected to serve as a National Teach Ag Ambassador, one of twelve students chosen to promote and represent agricultural education on a national level.
As always, I had an incredible time at Convention and was thankful for the opportunities provided to me by National Teach Ag. The Ambassador team had the chance to participate in lots of professional development, meet with the wonderful supporters of National Teach Ag, speak with thousands of students about a career in agricultural education, and more.
       
I am so thankful for the week in Indianapolis and all of the opportunities it provided, but I would be remiss to leave out one important detail. Throughout Convention, I had the chance to get to know one of the other National Teach Ag Ambassadors, a really wonderful guy from Ohio who is now my really wonderful boyfriend. 
Despite the fact that Kelse is an Ohio State fan, I think I’ll keep him around for awhile. 
       
After October, the semester simultaneously dragged and flew by. As mentioned, it was a tough semester but I made it through and was proud of myself for everything I accomplished.
 
The past few weeks were spent running from one Christmas party to the next, laughing until we cried, and making plenty of memories. Have I mentioned how much I love my family?
       
When it comes to the lessons I have learned throughout the past 365 days, one stands out to me the most. The last few weeks of the semester, I was stressed. I was overwhelmed. I was convinced that I just couldn’t do it, wouldn't make it. A great deal of crying and meltdowns later, I made it through the semester and headed home. The next morning I checked my email and received news that I had not only been selected for a leadership position in a student organization that I’m very passionate about but also that I had received a scholarship from Penn State for my involvement in and commitment to student organizations. And in that moment, it all made sense. Everything clicked and I heard God speaking to me. In that moment I realized that God had been with me through every moment. Every hopeless, stress-filled, overwhelming moment of my doubt and fear, He had been right there with me and yet I had ignored Him, relying on myself to make it through the semester. 
       
My prayer for you, and for myself, in the coming years is that you will rely on God. Look to Him in every moment, cast your fears on Him, lay your plans before Him, seek His will in your life.

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

So what does 2018 hold for this girl? Wrapping up my junior year at Penn State, selecting the school I will be student teaching at next spring, packing up and going on an epic road trip with some of my favorite people, exploring Vietnam for two weeks with Marcy, spending four weeks in Malaysia studying their agricultural education, spending my last fall semester at Penn State, and much more, I’m sure.
       
As I commit these plans to the Lord, I pray that you will do the same in the first days of this new year, remembering that with each new day He brings new mercies. 

Proverbs 16:3
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

Comments