Hook, Line, and Sinker

https://melbournechapter.net/explore/fishing-hook-clipart-free/
Interest approach, the hook, the key to kicking off a lesson with a bang and piquing student interest. We know that interest approaches are an important tool and this week in lab we had the chance to put our skills to the test and try our hand at creating and using an interest approach.

I chose to write my approach for a lesson on total mixed rations in my Dairy Management unit in Animal and Veterinary Science. I had a lot of fun preparing this unit and delivering the instruction in lab.

I was very pleased with how the interest approach went and received great feedback from my peers. To reflect on my gems and opps, I felt that my interest approach was well written and executed and that I did a good job of floating around the room and individually checking in with each student. The skill that I feel I need to improve on is my timing. I am still struggling with knowing how long each portion of the lesson should take when I am writing my plan. I'm sure with time I will become better with understanding how long each activity will take but for now, it remains a bit of a guess and check system.

All in all, I was happy with my performance in this lab and look forward to using interest approaches in the classroom.

Comments

  1. Victoria, thanks for reflecting on your gems and opps for this week. I also appreciate the reference to the "hook"! As you continue to reflect on future labs, don't hesitate to include descriptions of your learning activities to help set the stage for your reflection and to let your team know what you have been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting interest from students is vital to them truly remembering the content. This is true even if the subject matter is not their favorite. Timing is something we all work on. It helps if you teach the same class multiple periods because you fine tune what you are doing based off the first time you taught it. I always tell the kids if i'm not sure how much time we will need and / or that I "did this in 1st period and it took longer than expected." It comes also with years of teaching and knowing your labs / activities you do. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on, "hooking" student interest in the learning you want to see occur is extremely important. Equally important I have found is for students to have a thorough understanding of "why" they need to know it/learn it/experience it/be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment