Not Enough

Recently, I was asked to consider a change in mindset I’ve had during my time at Penn State. I began to think about all the incredible experiences I have had and pondered how they had influenced me.

Since graduating high school, I have had one amazing experience after another, experiences that I never could have dreamed of.


                       
                       

I fulfilled my dream of serving as a State FFA Officer. I traveled internationally six times and domestically too many times to count. I met and spoke with two acting U.S. Secretaries of Agriculture, two Pennsylvania Secretaries of Agriculture, several elected officials, and more. I competed in collegiate level debate, quiz bowl, and livestock judging contests. I served in multiple officer positions in student organizations and even assisted in the formation of a new organization on campus. I received honors that I never would have dreamed I was qualified for. I had more ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ experiences than I thought was ever possible.


If you had told me on my graduation night that I would do all these things, I would have never believed you. I would have told you that I couldn’t do any of those things because I wasn’t good enough. Not good enough, not smart enough, not talented enough, not brave enough. You get the picture. And yet, here I am today! All these experiences did happen for me. All along, I was good enough.


This is a lesson that I am still learning though. Even just a few weeks ago, when I was presented with the opportunity to help to host National Teach Ag Day, I was so close to turning the opportunity down because I was certain that I was not good enough.
The more I reflect on my experiences and these feelings of inadequacy in the face of opportunity and challenge, the more I understand two important life lessons.



1. You are capable of so much more than you could have ever imagined, if only you are willing to try.

2. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

When I think about it, I can see how easy it is to be terrified when I’m staring up at a mountain of challenges and opportunities. I can also see how through each of these moments, I was never alone. I am so blessed to have a God who loves me unconditionally, gives me strength for every mountain, and has great plans for me. Not to mention incredible family and friends to support and encourage me along the way!

Last week we wrapped up the first third of the fall semester and let me tell you, it was not an easy five weeks. Looking at my life over the next ten weeks, ten months, ten years, I know that it will not be easy. I know that I will face challenges that terrify me, experiences that I don’t feel good enough to get through, and times that seem hopeless. I know that I will survive and I am challenging myself to thrive. On my own, I am not enough but with a God who continually gives me the strength I need and a community of love and support, I am more than enough.

Comments