Classroom Management Tips and Tools

Classroom management. In all honesty, it kind of terrifies me! While I don't think that Mr. Hughes will let me get tied to a chair this spring, I do know that classroom management is an area I will need to focus on. Luckily, for our last week of classes, we will be learning about classroom management strategies! Digging into our methods textbook, I found 13 guidelines to promoting acceptable behavior!

1. Start out firm.

Ever heard the saying, "Never smile until Christmas"? That is where this applies. It is much easier for a teacher to loosen the reins if they feel that they have been too strict than it is for them to add new policies and consequences halfway through the year.

During student teaching, I plan to come in with my expectations, procedures, and consequences in place and stick with them. Being able to refer back to these foundational guidelines when faced with misbehavior will give me more confidence and allow my students to understand where I am coming from.

2. Be prepared to teach well.

This is a guideline that I strongly believe in. I believe that students are much less likely to act out when they are engaged in their learning. If we teach engaging lessons, we can prevent misbehavior from ever coming about.

3. Have a definite routine by which each class is started. 

Can you say, bell work? I am really looking forward to using bell work with my students because I really see it as a beneficial tool for both the students and the teacher.

4. Make generous use of praise. 

Positive reinforcement! I think this is one that I will do well with but I will have to challenge myself to be sure that I am praising all of my students.

5. Do not have favorites. 

Especially after my week at NAAE, I know the importance of making EVERY student feel welcome and valuable. Having favorites can only do harm to our students and program.

6. Be consistent, yet not predictable. 

While I can see where this tip is coming from. I am not sure if I completely agree. Having set expectations and consequences assures that your students understand the steps that will be taken if their actions are inappropriate. I would love some insight on this from any experienced teachers!

7. Take action whenever a problem arises. 

This one ties into the previous one well. If we choose to ignore inappropriate behavior because we're focused on something else, do not want to take away from our teaching, or simply "don't feel like dealing with it", we are opening the door to an increase in misbehavior. 

8. Learn to separate the action of the student from the person of a student. 

To me, this is such an important principle. Sometimes it can be easy to get frustrated with our students when they act out but we must not allow this to cloud our judgment and result in an inappropriate reaction. Students are people and people who are learning, we must remember this.

9. Never make threats, only make promises. 

To me, this one is just obvious. We really shouldn't be threatening anyone in general. When it comes to students though, threats can hurt our relationship with them and decrease rapport as they may realize that you will not follow through on what you say.

10. Set a good example.

The Ag Teacher's Creed said it best, "I will strive to set before my students by my deeds and actions the highest standards of citizenship for the community, state and nation."
11. Be sure the penalty fits the offense. 

Again, an obvious one. Thinking through your consequences and setting them at the start of the year is a great habit.

12. Be attractive to all behavior in the classroom or laboratory. 

Did you ever have a teacher (or parent) who heard and saw EVERYTHING that happened around them? They were pros on this tip. Letting students get away with inappropriate behavior when your back is turned can become a slippery slope.

13. Learn to forgive and forget. 

Similar to #8, holding grudges can hurt our relationship with a student. This also brings up the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy in that if you expect a student to misbehave, they will.


All in all, I know that I have a long way to go with classroom management but I look forward to trying out these guidelines in the spring as I build my confidence in the classroom and add to my toolbox.

Comments

  1. Victoria, I really like how you make your own personal connection to the classroom management suggestions from the textbook. Over time, your classroom management procedures will change and evolve, but it is important to never lose sight of why you choose and use the ones you deem most effective for your students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment