A Good Week (Week 3)

It was a good week.

The kind of week where I left school smiling every day and wanted to call everyone I knew and tell them how great my day was. The kind of week that I was constantly reminded of why I am here. The kind of week that will get me through those tough days.

We started the week with an in-service which was cool for me to experience and a good time to touch base with Mr. Hughes on how things are going. It was also fun for me to watch him interact with other teachers and faculty as I realized the importance of relationships within the school. I'm constantly trying to take notes on how Mr. Hughes goes about things and this was a big take- away for me. I think that ag programs can sometimes be misunderstood by other teachers so having relationships and showing them the value of your program can go a long way.

Tuesday we had our first delay, so I learned how to adapt and think on my feet. 20 minute periods are tough to make meaningful! Thinking on my feet really came into play in my Power Technology class because we were expecting a guest speaker but the delay changed his schedule. That meant that I had to start teaching and luckily, I had planned ahead and jumped right in.

Wednesday I was reminded in Animal and Vet Science of my biggest struggle right now, pacing. Somehow, our 43 minute periods seem so long and I can never fill them! Despite trying to slow down and review the material, I was still short. It's a learning process though and I know I will get there.

I was a bit nervous for Thursday as Mr. Hughes was taking a personal day and I would be on my own (with a substitute). But, I surprised myself and the day could not have gone better! I taught for the full period in both classes! Trust me, this was a big win for me! I've also seen a few of the students that have been a challenge for me changing a bit. A few who were stubborn with completing their work are coming around and I am starting to build a better relationship with them. And one of my students, who has really been struggling in both my first and second period classes has started engaging with me more and putting in more effort, this is a huge step for this student and something I am super excited about!


Friday brought two lessons that I was excited to try out. In Animal and Vet Science, the students followed a lab scenario and created their own total mixed ration (trail mix). The students did really well with this and seemed to enjoy it! I will definitely use this in the future! Then in Power Technology, to give the students an introduction to the parts of the engine, we did an Engine Parts Scramble. I cut out the name, picture, and function of each part and the students had to try and arrange them correctly. Initially, they grumbled about how stupid the activity was but within a few minutes they were excited and working hard! By the end of the period, I was having to remind them it was time to clean up and one remarked that he'd rather stay and keep working! #winning

All in all, I had such a great week, it was the week I needed. Last weekend, I was pretty discouraged about how the students were reacting to me and how my lessons were going. I know that there will be bad days, I know that sometimes a lesson will not go as planned, and I know that's okay! But this week really showed me that I can do this and that it is worth it!

Hopefully, this success and encouragement rolls into next week as I begin teaching TWO more classes! Woo, four classes! I am definitely nervous! Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. Victoria,
    It is great to see your growth, as well as the students' growth already in this experience. Continue learning through each experience, as they are preparing you for "tomorrow". I also really enjoy your posts on Twitter. Keep us updated there, as well.
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment