A New Home (Week 1)

Wow. What a week. Last weekend I was so nervous as I moved into my apartment and tried to familiarize myself with the area. What if the students didn’t like me? What if I was an awful teacher? What if Mr. Hughes was disappointed with me? I was so nervous as I faced 15 weeks of unknowns.

Monday and Tuesday we were on a field trip to the PA Farm Show and Keystone Farm Show. This was a great way to start my student teaching because it allowed me to get to know a few more students and kick off my time at Penns Manor in a fun and relaxed way.

Wednesday- Friday I observed Mr. Hughes teaching his classes. He often laughed and remarked that I was probably bored out of my mind but I was actually happy to have a few days to sit back and get to know the lay of the land. I’ve been trying to take as many mental notes as possible, learning who’s who, what’s what, and where’s where. That’s been tough.

What has been really helpful though is getting to watch Mr. Hughes interact with the students so that I can understand how things work around here. While I still plan on being myself and not trying to become Mr. Hughes, I do think that it is important to recognize the systems and structures that are already in place. Since I am only here for 15 weeks, I do not want to disrupt things too much and the most important thing to me is that the students benefit from my time here as much as I do.

Another thing I have learned is that I am going to need to start drinking coffee! Wow, am I tired! And I haven’t even begun teaching yet! In fact, Thursday I was so tired that I promptly passed out when I got back from school only to be startled awake by my phone ringing at 7 PM.

All in all though, it has been a great week. More and more I am starting to feel like part of the school as I get to know more students and staff. I am so excited to begin teaching and getting more involved here at Penns Manor. There is already so much planned for the next 14 weeks and I know that time is going to fly! The good news is, even after I leave here, I have a lifetime of agricultural education ahead of me. Thoughts and prayers are appreciated as I begin teaching on Monday, I'm kicking off with a dairy science unit and am as nervous as I am excited!
 

Comments

  1. No tired like end of a day teaching tired.

    I am excited as you continue to develop the Victoria Herr Teaching Identity! I have the utmost confidence in the future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great start to an awesome internship opportunity. I am excited to see what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, sounds like a great start to your student teaching internship. Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy Farm Show/Mid-Winter Convention with your students. I know it seems like a lot of watching and waiting right now, but you will soon find a groove in your daily routine and the fun begins! You are exactly right, as time goes on you will feel more and more like a faculty member at the school. Watching Mr. Hughes and taking cues from how he interacts is exactly what you want to be doing but you're also correct that you want to develop your own professional persona. Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment