First Days and Farm Shows

Fried foods and animal manure…. definitely not the next Yankee Candle scent. But this combination of scents is one that has always been nostalgic to me and can only mean one thing, the Pennsylvania Farm Show.

Growing up, some children think that Disney World is the closest thing to heaven that we have here on earth. For me, that heaven on earth was the PA Farm Show. Year after year, my family piled into the van and made our way to Harrisburg (undoubtedly through snow, sleet, and ice). We never missed making the trip and enjoying a day of food, animals, and exhibits, even the year we were in an accident on the way up and my sister vomited upon our arrival.
As I got older, I got more involved, showing pigs, participating in FFA events, serving as a State FFA Officer and on the Farm Show Commission, receiving the Farm Show scholarship, helping with exhibits, and more. This year marked my 23rd year of attendance at the Pennsylvania Farm Show and the day was nothing less than spectacular as I served in my new role of ag teacher and FFA advisor.

This trip to the Farm Show was especially exciting because it was my first day as Miss Herr, student teacher at Penns Manor Area High School! Monday morning, we loaded the bus up with 25 students, a group of chaperones, and Mr. Hughes with his wife and kids. Four hours, a lot of country music, and one emergency bathroom stop for Miss Herr later, we arrived in Harrisburg! A quick picture, a final set of instructions, and off they went.

I spent some time exploring and eating before heading to the Large Arena for the 90th Pennsylvania FFA MidWinter Convention. This was truly the highlight for me, for so many reasons. I got to see some of my favorite people, reminisce over how quickly the past five years have gone since I received my own Keystone FFA Degree, and soak up that blue and gold magic. There really is nothing that energizes me more than seeing students engage in the opportunities that agricultural education, specifically FFA, has to offer. A favorite moment was watching 365 first year members put on their very own FFA jacket for the first time, the PA FFA theme, Unlimited, truly shined in that moment as we all had a glimpse of the unlimited potential that lays ahead of those students.

After the final tap of the gavel, we spent a few more hours enjoying the Farm Show, I even had a quick visit from my mom and fiance! Then it was on the bus to head to dinner and the hotel. And let me tell you, the closer I get to becoming an ag teacher, the more I respect them. I am tired, so tired, and this is barely the beginning!

This morning we got the kids up bright and early and loaded them on the bus to head to York for the Keystone Farm Show. I had never been to the Keystone Farm Show before but I really enjoyed it and the students loved it! The primary difference is that the PA Farm Show is more of a fair type event meant for the public audience and the Keystone Farm Show is geared toward selling products and services to farmers. I thought that attending both events was a great idea and I was glad that my students had the chance to see so many cool technologies that are on the market right now. I also enjoyed getting the chance to walk around with Mr. Hughes and his family and get to know them a bit better. 

As we head home (my home away from home away from home) to Indiana, I can’t help but smile. Last week I was so anxious to begin student teaching, there was too much unknown and too many questions. But now, I am ready. Will it be a lot of work? For sure. Will it be exhausting? Absolutely. But I know that in the end it will be a great experience and will prepare me to enter a classroom of my own in a few short months.

Be sure to stay tuned with what I am up to, here on my blog! I will be writing at least once per week and I would love to keep you all in the loop with all of the tales of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Until next time!

Comments

  1. I've been thinking of you with student teaching. You're right...it is exhausting but worth it. That's neat you were able to take them to the farm show Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I hope that you are doing well, it was nice to see you over Christmas!

      Delete

Post a Comment