Flexibility in Action (Week 4)

Flexibility. It's a trait that we're often told ag teachers need to have but until you become one, you don't realize just how true that is!

I had great plans for this week. I was teaching four classes (Animal Science, Power Technology, Plant
Science, and Ag Leadership). We were going to finish our dairy unit after a fun week of milk, butter, cheese and more. In Power Technology we were really gearing up to start exploring small gas engines (ha, get it? gearing up?). And in Plant Science and Ag Leadership I was prepared for an exciting first week studying plant parts and the FFA Creed. On Wednesday, I was even supposed to have my first University Observation and I stayed after school until 6 on Tuesday to prepare. I was so excited!

Mother Nature had other plans. With temperatures way below freezing, our district, and many across the country called off Wednesday and Thursday. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that they put the safety of the students first and it was nice to have some time off but man, was I sad.

And now is when the flexibility is key. Tomorrow, I will be at Penn State assisting with the Global Learning in Agriculture Conference so Mr. Hughes will be stepping in for me. I've sent him my plans and have no doubt that everything will be taken care of but that leaves me with the question of, 'What on earth do I do now?' Do I skip the material that would have been taught and move on? Do I try and condense multiple days of lessons into one? Do I take the time to teach what I was planning and just push the rest of my lessons back?

And honestly, right now I am not sure. In some classes I will stick with the plan and teach what needs taught, in others, we will forge onward with what we have. But I guess this is the ever-hectic life of an ag teacher. Snow days, unexpected teaching opportunities, school events, FFA events, students who need more time on a lesson, and the list goes on... there will always be something that will get in the way of the perfect plan. But the funny thing is, that's why we have plans! Having plans in place allows us to see our goal more clearly and focus on what steps must be taken to get there. If we miss a few days of school because of the weather, how can we still give our students everything they need to succeed in a given area? The plan will tell us!

This weekend is going to require a lot of thinking and planning and replanning but come Monday, I'll be excited to get back to Penns Manor and kick off week 5 (1/3 through already!). Fingers crossed that spring comes quickly and the snow days are few!

Comments

  1. Changes in school schedules can be viewed as a major set back, or we can use that "found" time to get ahead on our work. The important thing to remember is that you have a plan and you will most likely need to adjust, whether it is due to weather or assemblies or class meetings. You name it and it will interrupt your class at some point 😀. Good reflection on what a week with interruptions looks like and how you plan to move ahead. Learning has occurred!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment