Family Ties

Agricultural education is so unique. As educators, we get the chance to know our students outside of school through FFA involvement and through SAEs. We also get the chance to know their families which can be so important to the program. One of the best ways to connect with parents is through SAE visits.

One thing I have seen over and over again while working with Mr. Hughes is his great ability to network and talk to others. This summer, when we spent a day visiting with students, we spent at least an hour at each visit, just chatting and shooting the breeze. This time is so important to the program. Instead of just coming in, checking on the project, and leaving, it is crucial that we spend time with the student and their family, building on the relationships. Good relationships with our students and parents can help to reduce issues with classroom management as well as help us find resources in the community for CDE coaches, event chaperones, and more.

During my most recent SAE visit with Mr. Hughes, I truly saw how involved a family can become with the ag program. One of our students whose grandfather owns a beef farm had asked us if we wanted to come out and help his family castrate their bull calves. We excitedly agreed and when we arrived, we found quite a crowd waiting. Grandpa, uncles, dad, cousins, and more were there to watch the show and spend time with Mr. Hughes. It was an exciting morning and again, we spent the majority of our time just standing around and talking about everything under the sun.

Ag teachers get some really unique opportunities, but through my time at Penns Manor, I have come to the conclusion that SAE visits are really one of my favorite things. They allow us to get to know our students better, make connections, and truly become part of the community. I am going to miss the people here in Clymer when I leave but I hope that one day, I will be a part of the community where my own ag program is just like Mr. Hughes is here.

Comments

Post a Comment